t: 01604 581044 e: email@example.com
Wedgwood as a brand dates back to 1759, when Josiah Wedgwood first started producing his own pottery in Staffordshire. The present Wedgwood factory at Barlaston has been producing its famous ceramics since 1940.
In October 2012 RGS was commissioned to undertake a comprehensive tree survey at the Wedgwood factory and visitor centre at Stoke-on-Trent. Our remit was to include an assessment of the trees in relation to a proposed large scale redevelopment of the site, comprising a new factory and visitor centre, and three sites of prime residential development. In all the survey area covered approximately 73 hectares which included a designated Ancient Semi-Natural Woodland. We were also instructed to undertake an Arboricultural Impact Assessment (AIA), which, along with our baseline assessment would form part of a wider Environmental Statement for the development proposal.
Our baseline survey and assessment extended to almost 600 individuals or groups of trees, as well as an overview of the ancient woodland.
RGS worked closely with other consultants, in particular the project ecologist and landscape architect, with whom a strategy was jointly formed
that would balance the arboricultural, ecological and wider landscape issues with the proposed development plan. After an exhaustive public
consultation period, during which the Environmental Statement was presented to the public and the local planning authority, we were subsequently
commissioned by the client to produce a site specific Arboricultural Method Statement (AMS). Completed in May 2013, the method statement included
a comprehensive specification for tree protection measures; both temporary and permanent, sequencing of works and a schedule of supervisory visits.
In addition we produced a detailed tree protection plan for the entire site; this was to be used in association with the arboricultural method
statement by the appointed main contractor during both the demolition and construction phases.
Planning approval for the development was gained in the summer of 2013 and works began on the first phase (the demolition of the existing factory) in November 2013. Our involvement with the project continues in the form of routine site monitoring visits and additional advice as required.